Saturday, February 28, 2009

Anyone want to pace the 2nd half of the B&A Marathon tomorrow?, Also, near future plans for training and racing

I wouldn't mind having a pacer. I really want to throw down a decent pr, so having a pacer in the 2nd half would be nice. Ideally, I want to break 2:50 tomorrow, but the weather could potentially prevent that from happening. It might be snowing a bit during the start, so things will depend on if anything accumulates, etc.

I've only done a few particularly serious runs in the last 2 weeks to make sure that I would be rested for this, so I hadn't posted any mileages yet, but I did do my first hill repeat session since November and, while each repeat felt fairly slow, my endurance was terrific and I felt good doing a pretty large number of them. I also got in a couple pretty long runs down in the Wasatch Mountains of Salt Lake City, Utah, last weekend when I visited the U of Utah Bioengineering program, my longest run there being almost 3 hours. The runs in the mountains felt good, the only issue being that I was just finally starting to break in my new orthotics and they were hurting my feet quite a bit. I think I'm used to them now finally though, so I doubt I'll have any orthotics-related issues while racing tomorrow.

Anyway, my near future schedule looks like this:

Tomorrow (3-1-09): B&A Marathon

Next Saturday (3-7-09): Seneca Creek Greenway Trail 50k (I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to "race" race this... Last year I just did a good training run at the marathon since it was only $20 to enter, but if I feel recovered enough, I'll probably take it out pretty hard and see what happens)

Rest of March: HARDCORE training. I'm going to be doing only 1 or 2 long runs a week, but my saturday run every week will be VERY long, ie at least a marathon and a half. Ideally, I would like to do a 50 to 60 mile trainer on 3-14 and 3-21, but I don't know if I'll have the balls and/or recovery speed from weekend to weekend to pull it off. During the week, I'll be focusing on speed, trying to do around 3 tempo/hill/speed interval sessions every week in addition to other runs. I'm going to try to hit a couple 15 to 20 mile tempo runs here and there at a considerably faster pace than what I need to do when I race. These will probably hurt quite a bit/almost as much as racing, but this is the kind of training I need to do. I want to be faster and more explosive at Boston and I definitely want to be posting under 2:50 by then if I don't hit that sort of time tomorrow. Additionally, I will be racing a 10k the weekend after Boston, which for several reasons, is a very important race to me. I've actually never raced a 10k before somehow and I have some very big plans for my debut of the distance. I'm not going to go into it too much, but suffice it to say that there will very likely be a showdown between myself and some huge morons that need to be knocked down a couple pegs (if they have the balls to show up and race me). I'm not usually cocky about racing other people and I don't usually enter races to blow up other people's egos, but this is a bit of an interesting situation, so I'll just leave it at that. Anyway, one other race that falls in at the beginning of April is Sacramento, California's American River 50 Mile Endurance Run. I just ran a 50+ miler in November and did reasonably well, but I think that an unfortunate stomach problem involving me puking EVERYWHERE cost me valuable time. AR50 is legitimately 50 miles while the other course was a bit long, my training has been absolutely perfect for 50 mile ultras over the past few months and I'm in much better shape now, and I'm not planning on throwing up and losing all my nutrients at AR50 (fingers crossed), so I think that I have the ability to drop a LOT of time off my PR there. Ideally, I'd want to break 7 1/2 hours there, despite having run 8:42 in November. If things go right, I think it's completely feasible. The much easier (and slightly shorter) course, much better endurance and conditioning, better nutrition plan, and overall better game plan going into the race this time ought to help me out quite a bit.

I'll post some mileages for the last 2 weeks after I race tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment