Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Week of 11-5-12: 42 miles, 3500' gain.

Monday: 10 miles, 2000' gain. Bosho trail from JCC to nearly City Creek, popped out into the neighborhood, took the roads back.  Don't remember how long it took.
Tuesday: 4 miles, 1000' gain.  Bosho from Bountiful to Towers and back, with Holly.  Nice and easy.
Wednesday: 17 miles, 1:49:14.  Mostly at about 6:30/mile, but picked it up over the last 5 miles or so.  Encouraging run, didn't feel all that hard, on a treadmill, so I locked in the pace and just cruised.
Thursday: Off
Friday: Off
Saturday: 6 miles.  2 mile warmup, Spectrum Academy Turkey Trot 5k in 15:25, 1 mile cooldown.  The course was pretty flat, but I highly doubt that I can run 15:25 right now.  I suspect it was 60-90 seconds short, but that said, I had another gear ready to go if necessary the entire time (some dude was 15 seconds off me for a good chunk of the race), so I imagine I'm actually still capable of running pretty quick on a fast accurate course.  I'm not sure that such a race exists around here before March, but I will definitely be racing "Running of the Leopards" 5k in March, a few weeks after Phoenix, right after hitting my peak, in an attempt to run at least a legitimate new PR.
Sunday: 5 miles, 500' gain.  A couple miles up Orchard Drive and back.

Totals: 42 miles, 3500' gain.  Obviously a reduction from the previous week.  Why?  I've decided that I need to be able to peak appropriately for Phoenix, so I'm taking things easy until the week after Thanksgiving.  This gives me the chance to run a few more for-fun races, if I can find a few that will work for me (no guarantees) and it will also allow me to be well rested for a nice 3 month marathon specific training cycle.  I've learned my lesson about pushing training cycles for too long (culminating with my spectacular inability to train at all for the last 7 or 8 weeks leading up to Wasatch), so I'm doing it smart this time.

Music for the week is the piano concerto that I consider to have, perhaps, the most lush melodies I've ever heard, Bortkiewicz's 2nd.  This is for left hand only and Bortkiewicz is never played, so it's sadly quite rare.  This piece only exists in one place on youtube and it's not available as an embedded file, so you'll have to follow the following links:
http://youtu.be/fSWdUvnM6f8
http://youtu.be/SccSazXWTVg
The start of the 2nd video is beyond gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment