Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mid-week post, doing another marathon in 2 1/2 weeks

Quick post... The training has been going exceptionally well in the last 2 weeks or so and I feel that my truest spring peak is coming after Boston. That means I need to run another marathon soon. I've decided to just drive home to MN the day after graduation (4 days earlier than the original plan) so I can run the inaugural Stillwater Marathon on May 24th. Officially, the goal is to break 2:50 and I'm fairly sure it's doable if I run well. I feel like I'm somehow already in much better shape than I was when I ran Boston, probably just due to the fact that I've finally started doing some good honest speed-work on the track. Additionally, I've been doing most of my runs at or faster than marathon pace, so that helps too. Boston was probably a hair conservative, and my 2:53:46 was obviously 80 seconds slower than it should've been with the bathroom break and all. Stillwater won't be an easy course, but it'll be easier than Boston and running my first ever home-state marathon ought to help my cause. As a whole, even dropping 4 minutes in the shape I was in at Boston would be doable if I ran a very good race, but I think I'm in better shape now, so it should definitely be doable. The plan will be to start in a 1:24 and see what happens from there. Also, I'm going to avoid eating something stupid like Wendy's the night before and I'm not going to consume any dairy for a couple days before the race to see if that can help keep me out of the porta-john while I'm running... I'm going to have an awesome post about this week's training in a few days and I'm really looking forward to the last couple runs of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment